It's common knowledge that I've been struggling with hitting my numbers for the last 8 weeks. I should have expected a run like this since I had a run of 14 months that were above average. Instead of saying "Why Me", I'd rather stick to "Why Not Me".
I had five appointments in the field today and that gave me a lot of windshield time and time to think. Because of the pandemic and now the ensuing Delta variant I have at least 5-6 leases that are in renewal. At this time I've not found a way to get those clients to upgrade. In most cases it's easy to show the show the savings on the maintenance side in order to facilitate the upgrade. I have three clients that can save thousands yet they still won't pull the trigger and are in rollover with month to month to month clause.
With most copiers leases there are four options at the end of the lease.
- don't return and don't buy, just keep renting on a month to month, or every two months and some leases will auto renew for 12 months
I would tend to think that most copier dealers that use leasing companies have these options in the lease. The fourth clause can be different from each dealer and or leasing company.
I'm also aware that there are many dealers that have their own leasing companies and they may dictate the end of lease terms differently from what I've seen and what I use in the field.
I just looked up the terms of my car lease and at the end I have three options. One is to purchase the leased vehicle, upgrade to a new lease or return the car and walk away. There is no rollover clause that I know of, however I have heard that some of the car manufacturers will grant a short term extension of the lease if needed. Pretty simple stuff right?
Times Like These
We've never endured times like these before in our industry. I've got five to six leases in rollovers and I can only imagine how many others are in the same boat as me. It's times like these that make you think about those terms and conditions and if they could be changed to help facilitate upgrades in a more timely manner.
At some point in time these clients will pull the trigger on the upgrade but when you're struggling you tend to think that just maybe there is another option to add or takeway. Most leases state if you don't exercise your option the lease will renew on a month to month, every two months and then some that have a 12 month rollover. I've heard that some of the leasing companies will roll a portion of that rental back to the dealer. So, that's great for the dealer but not so great for the sales person because they don't see any of that revenue. Thus good for the leasing company and somewhat good for the dealer.
What I Would Like to See
I'm not sure if I'll be around when the next pandemic hits, but it would make sense to me that a dealer may want to re-think the the fourth option of the roll over. Now this idea comes from chats with many clients that have asked me about the end of lease options. When I get to option 4 which is the roll over some of the clients asked me if there is an additional cost for the device once the lease goes into the month to month. The reaction from the client is more like they thought there would be an increase at the end of the term. Of course there isn't but what if there was? Why can't the month to month rental double in cost or there is no month to month option and the equipment has to be purchased, upgraded or sent back.
If we had these additional covenants it would be a win for the leasing company (especially if the lease went to rollover at double the cost), win for the dealer and the sales person would have a much better chase of securing the upgrade at the end of the lease.
Again the only reason that this came to mind is my current situation but it does get you thinking and when you compare the end of lease options with a car it seems to be that they are better at protecting the upgrade process.
As my buddy @VinceMcHugh, just my two cents
"If you want to be a good conversationalist, be a good listener. To be interesting, be interested."
The way you open conversations has a direct impact on what happens next. The direction of those conversations along with the strategy behind those conversations; all will have a direct bearing on one thing... a potential sales opportunity.
"You never know when one conversation will lead to exponential sales growth."
Just curious... How many of you in sales engage in real, genuine and meaningful conversations with your clients?
For many, you rely upon scripted questions and answers that you exchange, as your words resemble a tennis match.
Conversations build relationships, and relationships build businesses.
Real conversations require complete participation. It requires you to be present. Genuine or even meaningful conversations are invitations, an invitation to "what is really going on" unfolds during the conversation.
Question for many of you out there... How do you achieve authentic, meaningful, genuine and real conversations with your clients? Simple, you let your guard down and stop acting like a salesperson.
Engaging in real conversations requires you to be in the moment.
When salespeople embrace vulnerability, allowing the conversation to flow; entering a realm of uncertainty, the likelihood of genuine engagement have skyrocketed.
How comfortable are you making your clients feel about you, so in return they become comfortable enough sharing their uncomfortable business concerns?
A real and meaningful conversation is a business adventure into the unknown. This is where you allow the conversation to flow, unscripted, not guarded and you welcome in what you uncover. This is where new possibilities and opportunities to help await you.
"Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."
In his book, "Together: The Healing Power of Human Connection In A Sometimes Lonely World", American physician and author, Dr. Vivek Murthy challenges us to ask ourselves questions like:
“What was it about that conversation? Did I have a breakthrough moment where I let my guard down? Allowed myself to be vulnerable and was real with the other person? Or was it that they did that with me? And by being vulnerable they actually empowered me to be the same with them?”
Think about this for a moment... This is why selling from the heart professionals are brave enough to start proactive conversations that matter. What about you?
PROACTIVE CONVERSATIONS - WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
First, let's examine the difference between reactive and proactive conversations.
Reactive - It’s something you haven’t planned for and something that has caused you to respond in an unforeseen manner. The result is often defensive in nature, after the fact.
Proactive - You prevent problems before they arise. You're answering questions before they ask you. You work with your clients and have open conversation about issues important to the both of you.
Sales professionals understand that proactive conversations are planned, purposeful and deliver on their promises.
Proactive and real conversations set sales professionals apart from sales reps.
A few benefits of proactive and real conversations:
Shows You Care — Sales professionals dedicate the additional time to provide insights and creative ideas for their clients, to help them grow their business. They do this because it sets them apart from all the other empty suits.
Builds Trust — In a post trust sales world, proactive conversation shows that you are invested in their business growth. Sales professionals closely monitor their client's business and routinely engage with knowledgeable insights to help them cast vision about their business.
Prevents Future Issues — Sales professionals make sure there are no surprises. You can say they prevent their clients from "making a mountain out of a molehill". Proactive conversations, you will gain a better understanding about their needs and pain points before they turn into issues.
IT IS ABOUT PROACTIVELY GETTING TO KNOW YOUR CLIENTS
The single best source of help are your clients. Engage with them. Ask them questions. Learn something new about them. What is really going on inside their business? These become conversation starters when it comes to prospecting for new conversations with future clients.
Sales professionals understand their clients, their business and their competitive landscape?
Are you someone who truly cares about improving your client's business lives? Do you give a rip about them?
How can you improve the business lives of your clients? Quite simple, just ask them. Make it about them.
Salespeople... You won't get to the close of a sale unless you open the conversation correctly
Getting to know your clients starts with proactive, intentional curiosity driven conversations.
It is about engaging in conversation with great questions. It starts with...
Tell me more...
In addition to that, what else?
Imagine for a moment, what would happen if...
Insert these into your question starters and watch what starts to happen.
Engaging questions lead to engaging conversation which leads to relationship building
Whether it be digital or face to face, proactively engaging in conversations will catapult your sales success.
I understand, I get where you all are coming from. Every day, I walk in your shoes. I am fully committed to helping your sales team integrate social aspects and heartfelt strategies into your current sales process to grow new business. I want you to get results. This is why I am passionate about doing this the right way, the genuine way, the authentic way! It's about understanding value before visibility.
Selling From the Heart is making a difference! I poured my heart into every page of this book and I think you're going to love it. You can find it on Amazon in paperback, kindle and in audio. You can click on the book image below and this will take you to Amazon.In a world full of empty suits, I'm passionate about helping sales reps succeed by getting valuable before they get visible. I help sales teams understand the true value they bring to the market.
In a world full of empty suits, I'm passionate about helping sales reps succeed by getting valuable before they get visible. I help sales teams understand the true value they bring to the market.
With great pride I transform, challenge, coach and inspire sales teams to grow new business by helping them share their story and how they communicate it out by integrating the use of social and Selling from the heart inside the sales process. You can follow me on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and on my podcast by clicking on Selling from the Heart.
This Week in the Copier Industry 10 Year Ago
First Week of August
My response to the above Quora thread today:
Enjoy These Copier Threads from 10 Years Ago This Week!
Canon Intros ‘Printeaze’ for SMBs
Konica Minolta Awarded Prime Status by Oekom Research for Corporate Social Responsibi
HP and Konica Minolta® Acclaimed as Outstanding Achievers
Xerox Releases WorkCentre 5300 Multifunction Printers
New Xerox Multifunction Printers Make Black-and-White Printing Fast, Easy and Secure
Fuji Xerox Launches Managed Print Services Training Program to Upskill Channel Partne
Now that Mike Pietrunti has abruptly left Kyocera MITA and some reports suggest that he will surface at another player in the Office Equipment Industry, where will Mike Pietrunti wind up:
Xerox warns of "five hidden print costs"
Re: Rumor has it.....
Kyocera Mita America Names New President
Xerox Color Innovation Center Opens in Little Falls, N.J.
Standard Announces ColorWorks Pro Plus Inline Finisher for Xerox
Photizo Group to host Asia Pacific Managed Print Services (MPS) Conference 2011
Managed Print Consultant
Re: KYOCERA MITA ANNOUNCES EXECUTIVE TRANSITION
Re: Copiers to go the way of the Typewriter?
First MPSA Dealer Members -- MT Business Technologies, RJ Young – Renew
Canon U.S.A. Receives Two Awards From Buyers Laboratory, Inc.
Xerox Names Paul Smith to Lead Canadian Research Centre
ACS, A Xerox Company, Expands European Presence with Acquisition of Innova Consulting
When Kiyo Shimuzu heads back to Japan or Eurpoe at the end of September 2011, who will become the new leader of Dealer Division for Ricoh Americas Corporation?
Re: Copier Compensation Plans
Jo No E
Re: Thoughts on Convergence 2011??
Checkout JetMobile for Print Solutions!!
Plastic Packaging Technologies Upgrades to EFI Radius ERP
EFI Continues Global Expansion with Prism Acquisition
Lexmark’s solutions-ready scanner transforms workhorse printer into robust MFP
Direct Marketing Leader IWCO Direct Is First U.S. Install of Oce ColorStream 3500 Ink
The Ricoh Throne
August 2011 Sales Numbers Poll!
Re: New Sharp End of lease HDD feature
Re: Fax on the imageRUNNER ADVANCE 6075
MT Business Technologies Recognized With HP OPS Elite Partner Status
Re: Q. How does your company handle networking charges?
Re: Q. How does your company handle networking charges?
Re: Rumor has it.....
Re: Thoughts on Convergence 2011??
Re: Rumor has it.....
Re: Rumor has it.....
Re: New Sharp End of lease HDD feature
OS33 to Demonstrate Cloud-Based Webtops at CompTIA Breakaway 2011
David Clearman and I chat about recent Print Shops placements along with reasons why print shops are moving forward with color label presses. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel to get instant notications when a new "Better Call Art" drops!
This Week in the Copier Industry Five Years Ago
First Week of August
The run of the slump is still continuing, but there has been some light that I can see from the end of the tunnel. Next week should see a some action with some opportunities finally moving to the order side.
Enjoy these awesome copier threads from 5 years ago this week!
New Xerox DocuMate 6440 is a Quick, Well-Rounded Scanner That Puts Organizations on the Fast Track for Digital Success
CompTIA Expands Industry Standards Portfolio with New Guidance on Cybersecurity and Managed Print Services
Re: The End Is Nigh
Re: The End Is Nigh
Re: The End Is Nigh
Mike has been a long time Print4Pay Hotel member and over the years we've shared a lot of knowledge between us. Mike works in the Lancaster area PA marketplace and gives some incredible incites on his marketplace and what he does to remain successful despite challenges times for all of us.
At about 14 years old a kid starting running with the wrong crowd. By the age 16 years old that kid quit High School because was of an ultimatum by schools administrator "you can either quit or we'll expel you". Rather than getting expelled the kid opted for quitting. Up until this point the kid had never quit anything in his life.
That kid had been adopted at three years old and had lived in a foster home from birth. Through out the years that kid always asked himself this one question, "why did they (birth parents) give up on me?". That one question ate at him every day of his life. That kid felt like someone had thrown him out in the trash. However, that was a secret the kid would never ever tell anyone. It was one of the dark secrets that the kid suppressed when he was with others. To everyone else he was the kid of Mr. & Mrs so and so. The kid thought their was love for his new parents but that kid was never really sure what love of family was like.
The kid came with no baby pictures, a small suitcase, jeans and a T-shirt to his new home. There were no tales of sisters or brothers or parents that loved him, in fact the kid couldn't even remember the names of the foster family that cared..... the kid was able to remember a swing in the backyard, the wall in front of the house and being scolded for not hitting the bathroom before a ride. From the day the kid was born and until 3 years of age there was no love from anyone.
While the new home and the new parents was a great change, at four years ago the kid had to go to court with the parents to get the adoption papers processed. Yes, this kid knew that these new parents were not the parents that brought the kid into the world, but a loving couple that wanted a child to care and love. While the parents were caring and loving that kid was not sure if he knew what love of family was or is. Our kid had never experienced someone fawning, playing, or showing affection. The kid was unsure what to make of this new home and the parents.
Never the less our kid adopted the new family style and got acquainted in the neighborhood as best as possible. Making friends was easy and in a few short years our kid was off to kindergarten and then the 1st grade! After the first grade it was apparent that the kid was having difficulty in school. By the start of the second grade our kid sported a pair of new glasses and difficulty in school ceased. Our kid was told "that's one of the brightest students I've ever taught", that was the brighter side of second grade and the less lighter side was the taunting that our kid was enduring for now having glasses. Four eyes, freaky, coke bottles, were all thrown the kids way and it wasn't sitting well.
Part 2 for next week
IT, MSP & MSSP Industry Notes
July 26th, 2021
Why partnering with ARCOA makes sense
Electronics Recycling is an important and profitable part of the IT asset lifecycle, but it can be overwhelming with all you already do, varying state regulations, and the limited resources at hand. That’s where ARCOA comes in. When you partner with ARCOA, you get all the benefits of a big company without any of the capital investment. We’ve been doing this since 1989 and have the expertise, certifications, and nationwide resources to get the most for all your clients’ retired IT assets. Plus, positioning your clients as environmental stewards not only elevates their appeal to consumers, it meets government requirements and avoids fines.
What partnering with ARCOA looks like
Our role is to make it easy for you to bring more value to your clients. We work with you to help stretch your clients’ IT budget by reducing the total cost of ownership of their electronics. We’re experts at identifying and implementing the solutions your clients need for the end-of-use remarketing, recovery, and recycling of their technology assets. The sooner you involve ARCOA, the sooner you and your clients will see better results.MSP, MSSP and IT Notes Industry July 12th, 2021MSP, MSSP and IT Notes Industry July 12th, 2021
- Reported on Forbes.com
- Forbes contributor Davey Winder called the incident “the most significant ransomware attack the world has ever seen.”
- Kaseya stated that it’s in possession of a universal decryption tool
- The tool leverages a master key
- Key is capable of decrypting all of the 1,000 businesses and organizations that were affected
- Reported on AIthoeity.com
- Dataprise provides managed IT Services while Wireless Watchdogs provides mobile managed servoces
- Acquisition allows Dataprise to extend services the US West Coast
- “Mobile and IoT devices are deeply woven in the fabric of business yet too often mobility strategy and management are siloed from strategic IT management. With this acquisition we are joining two leaders in these respective industries to solve this challenge. Together we will deliver a holistic and aligned solution portfolio supported by one strategic IT partner,” saidSteve Lewis, CEO of Dataprise
- Named one of the world’s premier managed service providers in the prestigious 2021 Channel Futures MSP 501 rankings
- Channel Futures MSP 501 survey examines organizational performance based on annual sales, recurring revenue, profit margins, revenue mix, growth opportunities, innovation, technology solutions supported, and company and customer demographics.
- “The 2021 Channel Futures MSP 501 winners are the highest-performing and most innovative IT providers in the industry today. They stand head and shoulders above the competition,” said Robert DeMarzo, vice president of content for the Channel Futures and Channel Partners Conference & Expo division of Informa Tech Channels
- Announced it was honored with a 2021 Microsoft US Partner Award in the category of Modern Workplace for SMB
- MSUS Partner Awards program recognizes outstanding work by Microsoft's US partners
- investment fund will accelerate Xceptional’s expansion and growth strategy, enabling the organization to reach a greater number of customers across the Western United States
- Microsoft celebrated NexusTek and the other winning partners during the Microsoft Inspire US – Live Community Connection session, led by Bryson, on July 14
- Announced the appointment of Orrin Rohrer as Chief Information Officer. Mr. Rohrer brings 20 years of experience to the CentricMIT team of business technology experts serving clients in the 417 area
- Centric MIT is the managed IT services division of Paperwise, Inc. a document management and process automation software provider headquartered in Springfield, MO
- entricMIT is a Springfield-based Managed Services Provider (MSP) serving small to medium-sized businesses throughout the 417 area code
- JustTech, headquartered in La Plata, Maryland, announced that it and its clients had fallen victim to ransomware attack, according to The Hill magazine
- Attack came through Kaseya remote monitoring and security software, which dealer uses
- Apparently impacted 90% of dealer’s 3,000 clients in area
- The ransomware group, REvil, demanded $45,000 per computer in ransom, which was not paid
- SYNNEX stockholders announced their approval of merger with Tech Data
- Deal valued at roughly $7.2 billion
- Combined $57 billion in annual revenue
- Growth areas include cybersecurity, cloud, data and IoT technologies
- Announced partnership with Clearspan Communications, a cloud communications technology provider
- etherFAX DirectFax Messenger allows Clearspan customers to securely send and receive faxes and other business documents utilizing its patented hybrid cloud-based infrastructure-as-a-service solution
- Article published by Mike Scrutton of Mopria Alliance
- Much higher volume of materials being printed in the home
- Because home printers are limited in terms of paper size and finishing, jobs are being outsourced to print service providers
- Home printer now being used by all members of household for work, home and homework
- Predicts that “domestic” and “light production” MFPs will see increased sales
- “workgroup” MFPs will see reduced demand
- Disposable on-demand printing is increasing
- Announced the acquisition of empow, a security analytics company based in Tel Aviv
- empow acquisition adds innovative predictive response technology, a library of out-of-the-box data integrations, and top-tier engineering and product talent
- Acquisition follows on the heels of Cybereason securing $275 million in crossover financing and the exceptional performance for Cybereason in round 3 of the MITRE Engenuity ATT&CK Evaluations
- Research from Keypoint Intelligence for “Top SMB IT Pain Points & Solutions”
- Study surveyed 550 SMB IT decision makers in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic to identify their main challenges and pain points relating to technology
- 48 percent described security and data protection as being their number one IT challenge
- 37 percent of businesses said that their employees had experienced virus, malware or security threats due to conditions imposed during the pandemic
- As a result of those security issues, 47 percent of companies have acquired or upgraded IT security software or services
- 38 percent of IT decision makers viewed managing remote work as being difficult or very difficult
- 49 percent lack of necessary employee hardware or software was a difficulty associated with home-based working
- 44 percent of IT decision-makers identified servicing/supporting home workers’ IT hardware or software as a challenge
- 51 percent of respondents identified communication with managers or other employees as a business operation challenge resulting from work-from-home arrangements
- 37 percent indicated that locating files was an IT challenge associated with working from home
- 30 percent cited digital document collaboration as another business operations challenge resulting from employees working remotely
- Announced the completion of the previously announced spin-off of the SolarWinds managed service provider ("MSP") business into a standalone, separately-traded public company named N-able, Inc
- N-able will provide cloud-based software solutions for managed service providers ("MSPs"), enabling them to support digital transformation and growth within small and medium-sized enterprises
- SolarWinds will retain its Core IT Management business focused primarily on providing IT infrastructure management software to corporate IT organizations
- Announced its acquisition of Webiplex, an automated business process and document management solution
- Acquisition will further round out PairSoft's offerings by extending deeper AP automation and document management functionalities to NetSuite's ERP users
- Since 2008, Webiplex has been automating accounts payables, business processes and document management for companies like Quiksilver, PlanetFitness, CraftMark Bakery, Kayak, and The Motley Fool
- OPSWAT announced on Monday that it has acquired all assets of Bayshore Networks
- OPSWAT will add Bayshore’s tech solutions and retain its team members
- OPSWAT caters to the defense and manufacturing sectors
- Connecticut Governor, Ned Lamont signed HB 6607, "An Act Incentivizing the Adoption of Cybersecurity Standards for Businesses" into law last week
- Prohibits the Superior Court from assessing punitive damages against an organization that implements reasonable cybersecurity controls, including industry recognized cybersecurity frameworks such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology Cybersecurity Framework (NIST CSF) and the Center for Internet Security (CIS) Critical Security Controls (CIS Controls®)
- "In Connecticut, we took a step to accomplish this voluntarily without regulation by incentivizing organizations to adopt cyber best practices, like the NIST framework and the CIS Critical Security Controls."
- (Samsung of South Korea sold its laser printer/MFP plant to HP in 2017 for $1.05 billion, and HP sold plant to Foxconn in May, 2021)
- The SDS division of Samsung, which handles information and communication
technology, launched “Paperless”
- Goal is to provide reliability and transparency of documents in cloud environment
- Is a cloud-based blockchain-as-a-service (BaaS) solution
- Manages sensitive documents on blockchain to prevent forgery and falsification
- Enables documents to be disposed of after a certain period of time by encrypting and storing info in a separate server, only keeping the hash value of each data on the blockchain
- Pricing not announced
- Urged clients to disable printing from their devices until a system vulnerability (called “PrintNightmare”) was patched
- Vulnerability in Windows’ print service allowed remote users to execute code on computer system