FRAMINGHAM, Mass. — The worldwide production print market enjoyed double-digit year-over-year shipment growth in the fourth quarter of 2014 (4Q14). Unit shipments grew 17.1% to approximately 11,650 units (printers and MFPs) and shipment value increased 4.5% to nearly $1.4 billion in the same time period. Other highlights from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker included:
- With exception of Japan, all of IDC's regional markets saw positive year-over-year shipment growth in the production print space. Among the regions, North America grew 19.4% year over year, EMEA grew 23.2%, and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) was up 14.7%.
- All categories in the production print market recorded double-digit year-over-year growth. Production had year-over-year shipment growth of 50.1%, followed by Label & Packaging at 25.0% and Mid-Production with 10.2%.
- Color laser grew by 44.8% on an annual basis while high speed inkjet saw a 27.9% year-over-year increase and monochrome declined -5.9% compared to 4Q13.
"The worldwide production market saw gains as print service providers across the globe are investing in digital. The United States is still the largest opportunity for the digital production market, but other regions are showing high demand for equipment. Vendors are truly focused on selling value and services, adding to their sales forces to target specific print environments and applications. They are reducing barriers to entry, offering increased options and greater print quality at lower price points, and appealing to print service providers of varying size. And for inkjet specifically, image quality will only get better and media libraries will continue to expand, pushing that high-speed technology to high growth rates," said Amy Machado, Senior Research Analyst, Hardcopy Peripheral Solutions.
Worldwide Production Market Share, 2014 Q4 (based on shipment value)*
4Q14 Shipment Value ($M)
4Q14 Market Share
4Q13 Shipment Value ($M)
4Q13 Market Share
|1. Xerox Group1||$695.78||51.0%||$646.85||49.6%||7.6%|
|3. Canon Group2||$168.76||12.4%||$193.14||14.8%||-12.6%|
|4. Ricoh Group3||$108.14||7.9%||$116.87||9.0%||-7.5%|
|5. Konica Minolta Group4||$92.54||6.8%||$78.93||6.1%||17.2%|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker, Feb 2015
* Includes Mid Production, Production (full production) and Label & Packaging.
1Xerox Group: Xerox, Fuji Xerox 2Canon Group: Canon, Showa Jyoho 3Ricoh Group: Gestetner (NRG), Lanier, Nashua, Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Ricoh, Ricoh Industry 4Konica Minolta Group: Develop, ITEC, Konica Minolta, Sindoh,
In addition to the table above, a graphic illustrating the worldwide market share of the top 5 vendors in the total production print market over the previous five quarters is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
- IDC tracks Mid, Production (full Production) and Label & Packaging devices in the Quarterly Production Printer Tracker.
- Production Print Tracker includes single-function printers and multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app, available at iTunes, allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.