Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipments Show a Slight Decline in the First Quarter of 2015, According to IDC
May 26, 2015 05:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time
FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--According to new data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, large format printer (LFP) shipments declined by less than -1% year over year in the first quarter of 2015 (1Q15) while revenue declined by almost -3%.
“Some decline in shipments is expected, however, because the average rated speed of wide format printers is increasing, providing the capacity needed to replace older technologies with fewer new units.”
"The first quarter got the year off to a strong start with key wide format printing technologies like Latex, UV, and Eco-solvent inkjet showing nice growth overall. Latex really stood out in the quarter with shipments up over 55% compared to the first quarter of last year," said Phuong Hang, Program Director, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker. "Some decline in shipments is expected, however, because the average rated speed of wide format printers is increasing, providing the capacity needed to replace older technologies with fewer new units."
- The wide format CAD/Technical printer market segment was a bit soft in 1Q15, with shipments down -1.2% from the first quarter of 2014. The decline in toner-based printers continued, with toner-based shipments down -14%. Inkjet printer shipments in the CAD/Technical segment grew slightly (less than 1%) when compared to Q1 2014.
- Across all technologies, wide format graphics printer shipments were nearly unchanged, but because the mix is changing towards more productive Latex and UV-curable engines, printer revenue increased more than $5 million in 1Q15.
- HP is the top supplier of wide format digital printing systems worldwide. The combination of strength in the CAD/technical market, its dominance in the burgeoning Latex category, and a competitive position in the UV market give HP the top position overall.
- Canon maintained its strong number 2 position among wide format printer manufacturers with market share of 21% when Canon and Canon-Oce shipments are combined.
- Epson maintained its position as the number 3 worldwide supplier to the wide format digital printer market. Epson is seeing nice growth in the dye-sublimation and technical printers, and has re-launched its eco-solvent inkjet printer units this spring.
- Roland is the fourth-rated supplier of wide format printers worldwide based on its strength in the eco-solvent market and growing presence in UV and dye-sublimation.
- Mimaki has grown to become the fifth largest supplier of wide format printing systems worldwide, surpassing Ricoh, which saw a decline in its wide format toner-based printer shipments.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipments, Shipment Market Share, and Quarter-over-Quarter Change
2. Canon Group*
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, May 2015
*Canon Group includes Canon and Oce
- Shipments in the Asia/Pacific region were soft in 1Q15, with shipments about 1,000 units lower than in the first quarter of 2014 as graphics providers continue a shift toward higher value global brands of UV-curable inkjet printers. Lower shipments in Asia/Pacific were offset somewhat by higher shipments in North America and Western Europe.
- There were share changes in the eco-solvent market whereMimakihas grown largely due to aggressive price promotion and the updating of core wide format models.
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic showing the worldwide market share of the top 5 LFP vendors in 1Q14 and 1Q15 is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.