- Tessian Security published research report showing that there is a 47% increase in breach incidents over the last 2 years caused by insiders (existing employees) o Includes both accidental data loss as well as deliberate data exfiltration by negligent or disgruntled employees
o Amtrak, headquartered in Washington D.C., informed an unknown number of customers that their info was exposed after hacking incident.
- Advanced Intelligence LLC is reporting that operators of NetWalker ransomware are “conducting extensive attacks” on the healthcare industry. - Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, headquartered in Rockville, MD, notified 2,756 patients that their PHI was exposed after employee illegally accessed the info.
- The Southeastern Veterans’ Center of Pennsylvania notified an unknown number of patients that their info may have been exposed after an employee illegally accessed the info.
- Aveanna Healthcare, headquartered in Atlanta, GA, was hit by a class action lawsuit as a result of a HIPAA breach that exposed PHI of 166,000 patients. - DSA Connect published report showing a 350% increase in email phishing attacks during the COVID-19 pandemic.
o Takes 100 days or more before breach is discovered on average -
Saint Joseph Health System of Indiana notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI was exposed after paper medical records were improperly dumped in an unsecure location.
- Advanced Intelligence has published research report showing that operators of NetWalker ransomware, are now conducting extensive attacks on healthcare industry.
o Originating out of Russia o Offering as “ransomware-as-a-service” to other hackers, allowing affiliates to keep up to 84% of the ransom collected
- A hacker leaked online the database of Daniel’s Hosting, the largest free web hosting provider for dark web services. Includes thousands of email addresses, passwords and private keys.
- Capital One was ordered by a federal judge to turn over results of a digital forensics investigation into its huge breach last year o Former Amazon Web Services employee, Paige Thompson, was charged with stealing personal info of 106 million Capital One credit card customers
- The NSA is warning users of Exim, a mail transfer agent found in Unix operating systems, that it is being hacked by Sandworm, a hacking group in Russia.
- The Kentucky Employee’s Health Plan notified 971 patients that their PHI was exposed after hacking incident.
- Digital Management Inc. of Maryland, an IT contractor for NASA, announced it was hit by ransomware.
- Lookout Security reported that there is a 37% increase in hacking attempts on smartphones, as a way into company networks.
- The City of Minneapolis and its Police department announced that its websites were hit by cyberattacks, which may have exposed info on some citizens