NEW YORK — Canon Business Process Services, a leading provider of managed services and technology, today announced that it has enhanced its CaseData® web-based document review system with SmartReview predictive coding.
Industry experts indicate that predictive coding is becoming a legal industry “game changer” in its potential to improve the speed, efficiency and cost of reviewing a large volume of documents.1
With the addition of SmartReview predictive coding, CaseData can help organizations increase accuracy while reducing the time and expense of document review by using machine learning technology combined with expert reviewers. In the SmartReview workflow, reviewers tag documents in a “seed set.” Based on the calls made in documents in the seed set, SmartReview can predict categorizations—such as relevance and privilege—for the remaining documents in the larger universe. This capability can help dramatically reduce the volume of case documents requiring manual review, which in turn can streamline the entire review process.
SmartReview predictive coding highlights include:
- Defensively helps eliminate low value documents based on relevancy scores
- Helps lower costs by reducing the number of documents requiring review
- Prioritizes documents—according to relevancy scores—that contain critical topics and thereby should be reviewed as soon as possible
- Culls documents so that particular topics can more easily be assigned to specific reviewers
- Enables better strategic decisions to be made earlier in the review process based on relevancy scores
- Applies suggested coding/tagging automatically, significantly and defensibly reducing the number of documents requiring review
- Continues to learn iteratively even as the main document review begins, which can be achieved by adjusting seed sets that refine the learning
Canon Business Process Services provides outsourced document management and electronic discovery services to 43 of the Am Law 100 firms. This includes seven of the top 10 firms and 10 of the top 20 firms. For more information on CaseData, as well as insight on legal industry trends and best practices, visit Canon Legal Solutions.
About Canon Business Process Services
Canon Business Process Services, Inc. is a leading provider of managed services and technology that enable organizations to improve operational efficiency while reducing risk and cost. Experts apply quality management principles and tools such as Six Sigma to advance performance to a higher level. The company offers services including BPO, imaging, records and information management, print, mail and eDiscovery, and is an IAOP Global Outsourcing 100 Leader in 2014 for the eighth consecutive year. Based in New York City, Canon Business Process Services is a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon U.S.A., Inc. Learn more at www.cbps.canon.com and follow us on Twitter.
1. Anna, R. (2015) “Predictive Coding Slowly Becoming a Game Changer.” Above the Law, 12 January 2015.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.