Skip to main content

As much as it may hurt to acknowledge, people are leaving the print industry—at least in the United States. For example, the number of US workers employed in the “printing and related support activities” sector—which prints products like newspapers, books, labels, business cards, stationary, and business forms—dropped 30% from 2008 to 2018 (from 626,457 people to 438,516).

Number of US Workers Employed in the Printing and Related Support Activities Sector
(by Firm Size/Number of Employees)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (2008 and 2018)

You can read more here, my comments are below

If you like something I've posted please feel free to click the "like" button!

Original Post

5 Reasons People Are Leaving the Print Industry

From article above:  For example, the number of US workers employed in the “printing and related support activities” sector—which prints products like newspapers, books, labels, business cards, stationary, and business forms—dropped 30% from 2008 to 2018 (from 626,457 people to 438,516).

Art: Our industry is not a part of any of the verticals that are mentioned above

The 5 Reasons

From article: #1 Today, a former colleague told me that her company, which designs and produces training materials for clients, has seen print volume of these materials decline over 50% since the start of COVID.

Art:  The company is in the printing business and the reduction in print could be related to their ink presses or digital presses not having the volume they did in the past.

From the article: #2 According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the average age of workers in the “printing and related support activities” sector is 49 years—which is a few years older than the average across sectors (42). For different reasons, younger people are less likely to enter this field, which results in workforces with a bit more gray hair.

When these individuals do retire, their positions aren’t necessarily getting filled. Whether their jobs have been replaced with automated systems or it is too difficult to find a qualified replacement, many companies are placing greater reliance on technology and more efficient processes to get more done with fewer bodies.

Note from Art:  More statements about the print industry and not our imaging industry.

I go on and on but it all reads the same is that this talk track was geared around the print industry and not our Office Equipment Industry.   I get pissed off when someone takes this information and then makes it look like that our industry is suffering from younger people leaving our industry.

This is not the case and if the person followed Linkedin they would see that young people are still popping up on Linkedin within our Office Equipment Industry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.