Skip to main content

I was hoping someone here might have seen what I have been seeing. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities of a problem that I have been encountering.

On the new 400 DPI unit, with the new and improved, "1 to 1" press roller, - if you run a two color job using the type 80 the second color bounces all over the page.

This is costing me deals because the riso is not doing this. I would like to figure it out if this may be an internal service issue or if others are having this occur.

Thanks for your input
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Brian:

I have not experienced this and Ray Bauer is in Great Britian this week. Try to call John Reilling @ Ricoh. Maybe he can put on the path of the solution.

Which way is the imaging moving (holding the paper in the portrait position ie:reading a letter or the other way?

Art
Art,

The paper is actually 8.5 x 14 so it was running landscape.... Running the image this way, the second color would jump up and down. The thing is it wouldn't necisarrily go one way. While you run a job....the image will be up a little, then the very next one will be down a little....A few might come out right on.... Our technician couldn't get it not do it and it cost the deal this time. I even was going to throw in a TCII to rectify it. A riso performed a lot better on the demo and that was their choice.

I understand that on a dup, the image will not be perfect and there will be some movment, how much is to much though, and what do most people find acceptable. I appreciate all of your input.

thanks.

brian
I don't know how much you have worked with these but some things to keep in mind with dig. dups...The print will move some on every sheet and every pass. It just isn't noticed with a single color or on the first pass. Therefore, on a two-color of red and black for instance, the black has moved alittle "+" on some sheets and alittle "-" on others as did the red on the second pass. The problems come in on those sheets where the black went alittle "+" on the same sheet where the red went alittle "-" making the shift actually double what either single color would have been.

Add to that the potential of getting "master-stretch" on longer runs of several thousand. This is a phenomina that happens due to the rotation of the drum against the pressure roller...the master actually stretches to become slightly longer. It really isn't noticable unless you run 2 or more colors. 2-color becomes a problem because the first page printed in the first color is the last page printed in the second color and vice versa. Therefore the middle sheets are the only ones where each color is being laid down with a similarly stretched master. The last page printed in the first color is done with a stretched master and becomes the first page printed with a fresh master when laying down the second color.

By the way, you that sell the PriPort can use this argument for the TC-II vs. two passes done on a Riso.
We must not forget the Riso V8000 2-color single-pass system. I also can't speak for registration variance Riso vs Ricoh nor TC-II vs. 2 passes. I'm mearly suggesting that it makes for a compelling argument...whether it actually holds water, I don't know.

Riso quotes a +or- one millimeter as an "acceptible variance on their current product line not counting the V8000. I don't sell the Ricoh nor do I compete against it so I can't speak to the registration or lack thereof.
I thought that 1 mm would be acceptable as well. I think that it is hard to compete trying to sell a dup and a tc11 when there is competitive 1 pass system that will lay two colors well and consistently.

I wonder if, in the long term, the RICOH will stay consistent with a certain margin on movment, and the riso will start going all over the place. That I do not know, but that is the argument my higher ups are sticking to.

I appreciate everyones input. Thanks again,

Brian

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.