Skip to main content

Just did a demo on a 3850C printer with a high end liho printer in town, they are very happy with the quality on the 3850 for BOTH proofing and camera ready art.

He had his little eye piece out and everything, was very happy... There is no comparison in the print quality of the 3800c and 3850c. I could not believe the difference in quality.

Just FYI
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Remember that even Ricoh is saying that the 3850 is BUSINESS color, as such there is no way this machine can be used for "real" proofing.

A lot of people throw around the word proofing when they mean "prints we can do before we show this to the customer" or "prints shown to the customer with an understanding this isn't a "press proof".

I'm glad to hear the 3850 output looks good, and for "camera ready art" while it isn't the machine I would pick, I'm sure it would do fine. As far as "proofing" this isn't the machine Smile

The definition of Camera Ready Art from webopedia is:
Historically, the term has meant that the copy is ready to be photographed and turned into plates for offset printing. Increasingly, however, it is possible to print directly from the electronic version, either by sending it to a high-resolution laser printer or to a special device that can generate plates directly from electronic elements rather than from photographs.

Basically today it means a print that is ready to be turned into a press plate. 600dpi B&W laser printers are generally sufficient for this function, some customers prefer 1200 or even 1800 or 2400 dpi.

And here is a description of the Poofing process taken from the About.com Graphic design expert:

Layout proof -- typically printed from the layout/creation program to an inexpensive inkjet or even a monochrome laser. Increasingly, Adobe Acrobat PDF files are used in this step. The PDF can be generated and sent in about the time required to print to most desktop printers. The resulting PDF file (moderately to heavily compressed) is easily transmitted by modem and virtually every client has access to the free Acrobat reader.
Color layout proof -- actually only a slight step beyond the layout proof. Typically, this proof is created with more accurate colors, usually utilizing a printer with some level of color calibration. PDF files are very popular in this step, but because color values vary so dramatically from monitor to monitor and then again to print, they aren't suitable for most "contract" proofs. This is the highest step I personally believe our devices can participate in (JR)
Analog contract proof -- traditional analog contract proofing uses the actual film output and often the print stock to be used. This results in highly accurate proofs, suitable for use by the press operators in final print control. However, with digital presses and CTP (computer-to-plate) technologies becoming increasingly popular, there is no film generated, thus no opportunity to create analog proofs.
Digital contract proof -- in essence, a digital proof differs little from a color layout proof except in what it attempts to match. The contract proof might be generated by the very same printer used in the earlier proof, but rather than calibrating output to match the designer's monitor or submitted color samples, the digital contract proof must accurately mimic the color/output characteristics of the press.
Press check -- although most printers cringe at the thought of clients considering a press check as a form of proofing, the reality is that exacting clients expect this service. As the name implies, this "proof" is actually produced on the press. Typically, only relatively minor color adjustments can be made on the press. Content editing and major color changes almost always require new printing plates to be created. If you need to pull a job from the press, your proofing system has failed.

Going in to this deal, this is the exact approach that I took with the customer, however, with the time consuming Fiery manapulation, they have been able to colormatch and use it for proofing. I believe that every instance is different and every customer will have a different outlook. This is why it is so important to make sure that a customer like this on this kind of budget has an opportunity to demo the system to see if it fits their needs. I should have been more clear that it is being used as more of a "pre-proofing" device.

Graham

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.