Skip to main content

I went out on a 1515 the day before yesterday, the copies were very overtoned and the back side was dirty too, with a black line about 1/2" wide at the top of the page (back side)
I removed the toner bottle and tried to detone it but it kept getting jammed in the fuser due to the black line at the lead edge.
Went back yesterday, replaced the fuser rolls and the PCU. CQ came back immediatly. Ran some more test copies and left.
That afternoon they called back. When I got there the symptoms were exactly the same.
The ID sensor was reading 3.8Vsg and 4.8 for Vsp. Vts at 2.60. As I tried to detone it (make a copy, clear the jam) the VTs gradulaay went down to 2.88. So I open the right cover and triped the switch. I expected to see a few revs of clean drum then the patch then clean again.
What I saw was an end to end coated drum until the 3 beeps then a clean drum for a couple of revs. No patch.
So now I know where the back side dirt was coming from.
I cleared the memory and the ID sensor and TD sensor changed but still out of range.
Heres how I see it: the PCU is getting overtoned because the ID sensor is at 4.8 (undertoned)
The ID sensor and TD sensor are OK becasue they are giving readings that change. The ID sensor must be taking the patch reading at the clean drum time. But if thats so, why is it higher than Vsg (3.8)
I'm hoping that someone has seen this and can shed some light on it.
I have ordered a HV supply and a BICU.
14K on the machine and firware is at "C"
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Went out today and replaced the HVPS, then the BICU. Nothing changed. Checked Everything in the machine even replaced the transfer roll.
Then i said to the customer "what are the chances that someone refilled the toner bottle?"
"Pretty good" says he. "We had a lot of old toner sitting around and We thoght we'd try it"
Then he handed me a bottle of Sharp analog toner.
So I charged them for 4 hours and 2 PCUs. And I was happy to do it.
It is always easy to understand when you know the answer.
Beach, there was nothing wrong with the toner bottle just the toner inside of it. If I had replaced the toner bottle it wouldnt have solved it becasue I stll couldnt get a copy thru the fuser. Detoning woulnt have helped as the opposite charged toner was getting to the transfer roller and therefore on the rear side of the paper and casuing the paper to stick to the pressure roller.
Replacing the PCU And the toner would have resolved it but I would have gone away thinking it was a defective toner bottle. And the question would have lingered in my head. Later when they refilled the bottle again, I would have been back for the same thing.
Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the feed back, of all the posting I did of this, he was the only one who replied. Thanks again copier doc.
Doc, cheap indeed! and these is a liquor store that specializes in $700. bottles of wine!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.