Skip to main content

I am working with an attorney who wants to use Ricoh's "user codes" as his "client codes" for client billing. When making copies everything is straight forward. He enters the appropriate "user/client" number on the operations panel, makes copies and the copies are recorded.

However, I have not been able to understand IF we can also do this for printing and if we can HOW.

I have done my homework, reading the manuals and trying to do this on equipment in the showroom and either I am missing some thing or we can not do this.

The problem is being able to change the "user/account" code for each print job. If I can't get this figured out, I will loos this sale to a Sharp AR-M350n which cab use different "user/account" codes for each print job.

Do you understand what i/m trying to do? Do you know how to do this?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a customer using the 'User Codes' at the copier and also for tracking of prints from each workstation. First, from the control panel of the A1035/45 the User Codes must be activated for each 'area' of the system you want to control: In this case 'copy' and 'print'. The use of user codes for printing is voluntary in that the user can still direct a print job to the 1035/45; however output will not happen unless the correct user code is used. The A1035/45 can track up to 500 codes, I believe, and if your client needs more user code capacity (or additional features) you might have to look at Equitrac, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Here's the deal....

In order to do this with printing, you CAN NOT use the Ricoh RPCS drivers, these drivers will only allow you to enter the user code for the printer once and then it stays static in that pc, the only way to change it is to uninstall and reinstall the driver. You CAN, however change the user code on the fly in the PCL drivers both PCL 5 and PCL 6. To do this, you have to change the user code within the properties each time you print. This is done from the properties section of the driver I believe there is a tab called "Statistics" that shows the User Code window you enter your user code from there. The one thing that you need to make sure of is that you restrict printing for anyone that does not enter a user code or you are likely to have a bunch of print jobs called "other" in there. You have to enter the new code when you change clients because it does not automaticly clear it out. It is a little cumbersome to get used to for the office staff, however if they get in the habbit of entering the user code they should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Graham

Ted, you are right on with this. A couple of things:
Enter a User ID as default under the details tab under the printer properties. That way, if they get a lot of jobs from user Mary that don't have a User Code, they know to talk to Mary about it.

This will only work if they close the application after they print. If they open another file without closing the application, the previous User Code entered will still be there.

While looking in to this, I found something interesting: After sending a job and closing the application and reopening another job you may find the user code is still there. If this is the case, close MS Outlook and see if you observe the same thing. If that fixes it, go to MS Outlook, Tools, Options, select Mail Format. Uncheck the box for Use Microsoft Word to edit email messages and then click apply. This was with Word 2002 and Outlook 2002.

Thanks!
Lee
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it can only be done the way he wants using the PCL drivers. I just set one up at an Attorney's office, and when I used the RPCS, the first code they entered from the Properties section for that particular job stayed in the code box forever. (it was even there when they opened other files, and when they rebooted the PC). The message said you cannot change the code unless you reload the driver. From the PCL drivers, you can enter a different code each time you open a job. If you can change the code in the RPCS, let me know. If not, it does work with the PCL drivers just fine.
(P.S. and no, I did not enter the code in the Start; Printers; main properties setup for the driver. I did it from the properties box when you print the job)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.