October 7th 2018
Ricoh launches new PPS solution
- Now offering Ricoh Communications Manager
- Software-as-a-service platform for print service providers to control, manage and report on digital and print channels
- Manage, view and report on job status
- Track status, history and next steps
- Pricing not published
Ricoh wins BLI awards for PPS
- Buyers Lab Inc., a division of Keypoint Intelligence, gave out following: o Outstanding mid volume color PPS = Ricoh Pro C7210 series
o Outstanding high volume color PPS = Ricoh Pro C9200 series
Ricoh’s PPS exec is interviewed
- Peter Willliams, Ricoh’s global head of commercial and industrial print division gave interview: o Ricoh is working on the next generation of electrophotographic (toner) printing presses to replace the current C5200, C7200 and C9200 series Will be showcased at Drupa show in Germany, in June, 2020
o Also spending millions of to develop inkjet systems
o "Production print is close to a $2 billion business and is growing fast"
o "We aim to align inkjet and production print technology to assist the transition from toner to inkjet in production print"
o "Some 20% of Ricoh (PPS) revenues go to R&D, and disproportionately so for inkjet, but there is still a lot of opportunity in laser based machines"
o "Inkjet is not as flexible and there is the ink costs, we will offer an inkjet press when we think we can be successful. Out approach is that we want to have a commercially viable product, the component parts are not there yet"
Ricoh wins PPS contract
- Award from GAM Graphics and Marketing of Sterling, Virginia o Installed a Pro C7210X with 5 color toner system
- Award from Zalsman, a commercial printer in the Netherlands o Installed a Pro VC70000 production color inkjet system
- Award from VISOgraphic of Addison, Illinois o Installed a Pro C9210 production color laser system
Xerox wins PPS contract
- Award from Mountain View Printing of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Installed a Brenva production color inkjet system and an Iridesse production color laser system with 6 toners
Xerox hires new head counsel
- Announced appointment of Louie Pastor as new EVP and General Counsel
- Reports to John Visentin, new CEO
- Previously worked for Carl Icahn
Canon wins government contract
- Award from City of DuPage, Illinois
- 5 year contract for MFPs, service, supplies and software
- Canon used the National Intergovernmental Purchasing Alliance (NIPA) contract to win the award
Canon wins wide format contract
- Award from Group Imaging, a commercial printer in Mesa, AZ
- Installed an Oce’ Colorado 1640 color UV inkjet roll to roll system
Canon signs lease for NYC office space
- Signed lease for 24,408 SF office space on third floor of building at 261 Madison Avenue in New York City, NY
- 6 year lease with 5 year option, at $69 per square foot
Canon sponsors balloon festival
- Once again Canon is sponsoring the Albuquerque International Hot Air Balloon Festival in New Mexico
- Features more than 500 hot air balloons across 78 acres
Toshiba completes sell off of PC division
- Hon Hai Precision (aka Foxconn) announced it has completed the purchase of Toshiba’s personal computer division and will make it part of Hon Hai’s Sharp division
- Sharp will re-enter the PC market for first time since 2010 when it discontinued its Mebius brand of PCs
- The last acquisition to complete the purchase was paying $35 million for Toshiba’s Client Solutions division o This division reported a loss of 8.3 billion yen last year
Square 9 and Fujitsu partner
- Square 9 Softworks Inc. announced release of GlobalForms 10.2 software
- Includes new functionality to connect to Fujitsu fi-7300NX network scanner
- Allows users to easily create custom web forms for capturing transactional information through customized process automation
ECi Software makes another acquisition
- Announced it has acquired Office Document Consulting (ODC) Inc. of Ontario, Canada
- ODC offers DOCaccess suite of products to managed print services dealers
Three arrested for making fake currency
- Levy James Newberry was arrested by Pasco County, Florida police for allegedly using color MFP at the local New Port Richey Public Library to make fake $20 bills
- Also arrested was Christina Quinn for attempting to use fake currency to make a purchase at Ollies, a local department store
- Gregorio Gonzalez was arrested for using fake currency to buy a used Harley Davidson motorcycle
Dealer holds security lunch/learn
- Lake Business Products of Eastlake, Ohio, recently held a lunch/learn event for customers entitled; "Let’s Get Security Under Wraps Cyber Security Summit"
- Guest speaker was David Rose of HP Inc. who discussed the risks and ramifications of not addressing and reducing the size of the attack surfaces in the print environment
- Also were three breakout sessions after lunch with representatives from Canon, HP and Continuum Managed IT Services
EFI names new leader
- Electronic For Imaging (maker of Fiery) announced that William Muir is its new CEO
- Formerly COO of Jabil Solutions.
Brother exec interviewed
- Dan Waldinger, Senior Director for B2B Marketing was interviewed in ENX magazine
- "in the U.S., about one trillion pages are printed per year"
- "We are predicting and seeing declines in print volume, however, so we are focusing on having the right solutions for where our customers are today"
- "We are complimenting some of the A3 copiers, but we want to get that A4 techology – those printers, MFPs and scanners – a lot closer to the workers"
- "A much more optimized workgroup ratio would be around 8 to 12:1 employee to device ratio"
- "We have a sales force that is primarily focused on demand generation"
- "We have a dedicated verticalized sales force that calls on end user customers"
- "We have groups of people who focus on retail, hospitality, healthcare, education, corporate (including financial and manufacturing) and government"
- "they will call on a customer and speak with them about their business needs"
- "perhaps do some proof-of-concept evaluation units and perform assessments’
- "along with some predictive analytics"
- "we can marry them with one of our authorized partners to place and service the solution"
- ‘we have a group of field engineers who can work in concert with the dealer on the front and back end"
- "if a large customer has a customization need, we do not charge for it?
- "will work with customers and do customization with integration into back end systems, and legacy network environments to make sure that it works – pushing drivers across network, updating firmware"
BTA gives out Channel Choice Awards
- Business Technology Association event held in New York on 9/19/18
- Awards based on voting from copier dealer members
- Primary Product Line Award = Kyocera
- Remanufactured Cartridge Provider = Polek & Polek
- 3rd Party Leasing = Canon Financial Services
- Wholesale Distributor = Supplies Network