Xerox adds security features to its MFPs
- security enhancements to its line of Xerox AltaLink Multifunction Printers (MFPs)
- "While other networked print devices use a fractured, manual approach to cyber security, Xerox employs an automated response that neutralizes threats at their source," said Dr Alissa J Abdullah, chief information security officer, Xerox. "Instantaneous responses are critical when seconds could mean the difference between effective threat response and a catastrophic breach."
- Use features from McAfee Data Exchange Layer (DXL) and Cisco Platform Exchange Grid (pxGrid) platforms
o When a threat is detected, McAfee Embedded Control white listing technology halts the attack
o MFP sends an alert to McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator, which communicates the
event to Cisco Identity Services Engine over the DXL/pxGrid framework
o Cisco Authentication Service takes the affected device off the network until the extent of the attack can be completely evaluated.
Note from Art: To this day, I've never heard of or read about a breach that went through and MFP. Not to say it does not happen, but I'm sure it's few and far between.
Fujifilm exec discusses future of print
- "Communication using paper documents is still prevalent but it is true that paper use is decreasing and industry data show the shipment of printers is also declining," Fuji Xerox President Takashi Otani told The Korea Times newspaper
- "However, manufacturers are evolving their printers by adopting information and communication technologies such as cloud computing, big data and artificial intelligence (AI). I am sure that printers will keep evolving to stay abreast of the technology changes."
- witnessing a decrease in demand for printers
- "Though Fuji Xerox is famously known as a printer manufacturer, the firm has been diversifying its business portfolio by offering document management, security services and cloud computing," Otani said.
- "Even in the distant future when multifunction printers continue to disappear, we will keep providing services that can enhance in-company communications to our customer companies," he said.
Note from Art; I especially like the comment "in the distant future"!
Xerox launches remote control panel
- Now available for Xerox VersaLink MFPs and printers
- accessed via web browser from the printer’s Embedded Web Server
- user can change printer settings
- enable administrators to program and troubleshoot the machine from their PC
- Marco reports that it’s acquired Accent Business Solutions in Wisconsin for an
o now has 1,430 employees and serves over 35,000 clients from its 62 locations
throughout the United States
o Accent Business Solutions has locations in Appleton and Wausau
- Fisher’s Technology, headquartered in Idaho announced it has acquired ABC
Office Equipment of Spokane, WA
o now operating out of four locations in Idaho, five locations in Montana and
now two in Washington
- Loffler Companies, headquartered in Minnesota, announced the acquisition of Laser Systems and Laser Systems Security of Fargo, ND and Grand Forks, ND
Note from Art: Marco is killing it with acquisitions! So many so quick it's like rapid fire. I think they might want to tap the brakes a bit.
Okidata reports loss
- recorded a 2.9 billion yen impairment loss related to its Mechatronics Systems
- project net sales of 441.0 billion yen, up 0.2%
o Operating income of 17.5 billion yen, up 2.5%
o Earnings of 8.5 billion yen, up 70%
Note from Art: How much is 8.5 billion yen? A little over $77 million US Dollars
Canon launches new A4 color MFPs
- new Color imageCLASS MFPs MF745Cdw, MF743Cdw, MF741Cdw, MF644Cdw,
MF642Cdw and MF641Cw
- color touchscreen LCD control panels
- 3 year standard warranties
- optional Auto Toner Replenishment Service delivers toner directly to the end user
- supports the Canon Application Library
o Name and Scan: Assign a name (keyword, ID, date & time) to a sent file to assist in sorting into the appropriate storage location
o Language: Change the default language used on the printer's screen display
o Copy (Enhance Text): Darken light-density text on originals during copying
o Fax and Store: Press the Fax and Store button to send a fax to its destination
and archive the fax image upon successful transmission.
Note from Art: What strikes me the most is the 3 year warranty, just curious if that is depot service or on-site service. In addition curious to see what the warranty is for the consumbales
Canon claims it has largest US marketshare
- IDC reported that Canon is the market leader in all U.S. A3 Copier/MFP segments during Q4 of 2018
- (what Canon did not reveal however is that it is one of the few MFP vendors that do NOT certify their numbers in the U.S., unlike Konica Minolta, Sharp, Toshiba, etc.)
Canon to resell new solution
- New partnership with Timitoo Systems of Flower Mound, Texas
- Will resell the Timitoo Systems Correspondence platform, as well as the Timitoo AFP Conversion Suite of products
- a pure open standard HTML5/CSS based template definition for its correspondence solution
- document design originates from the digital "beginning" versus a paper document
- eliminates the constraints of the page-oriented design process
- can be deployed on premise, cloud-based, on-demand or as a hybrid solution
Note from Art: I had this posted up last week, read it once, read it twice and now a third time. I have no clue what this platform does or how it will help the client
Canon provides production print gear
- Canon announced it is providing systems for The Viscardi Center of Albertson, XXXX
- operates a vocational program to help prepare adults with disabilities for jobs in office services
- Canon will provide a national team of subject matter experts, up to six per session, to work with a vocational training team from Abilities Inc. at The Viscardi Center.
- Training will take place in areas such as reception services, mail services, light print production and print fleet management. “It provides them with life skills that can translate into any business,” said John R. Reilly, senior vice president of global managed services at Canon Solutions America
HP holds event for dealers
- Held HP Premier Partner Summit in New Orleans, LA
- Presentations focused on following topics:
o security and solutions
§ HP Firmware Assessment tool
§HP Print Security Advisory Services
§ HP Security Manager tool, which streamlines security by establishing a
single policy and applying it across the entire fleet, ensuring compliance
and protecting workflows.
§ HP Roam
§ HP JetAdvantage
o Growth opportunities with HP PageWide Technology
§Inkjet A3 & A4 printers and MFPs
§ ColorSave feature allows users print lighter, pastel colors for the same
price as PageWide monochrome printing
o HP Smart Device Services (SDS) service tool
§combine device-embedded sensors and cloud-based tools to optimize the
way to monitor, manage and diagnose service needs across fleet
§ability to remotely resolve problems
§claims to reduce dealer service costs by up to 17%
§predict failures of key components just before they happen
Note: I can only hope and dream that one day I can sell these puppies, PageWide wide format is to die for
HP wins production print contract
- award from American Litho of Chicago, IL
- installed new HP PageWide Web Press T240 HD, a production color inkjet system
- serves clients in financial services, insurance, retail, health care, fast food, travel, entertainment, health and beauty, education and more.
- Used to produce high-quality color mailers, catalogs, postcards and other projects that feature customer names and variable offers based on customer demographics and known preferences.
HP sued by unhappy customer
- The Cweren Law Firm of Houston, TX, has sued HP for $100,000, claiming that the company has not provided proper service for their HP color LaserJet MFP.
- the law firm claims it bought the device and a 5 year warranty that promised in-person repairs, parts and service “at your door the very same business day”
- claims that HP refused to send an on-site service person when device did not work properly
- problem interfered with the busy law firm’s ability to conduct business, the petition said
- suing HP for breach of contract, fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of express warranty
- seeks to recover actual damages, attorney fees, interest and court costs.
Note from Art: See what happens when you sell to a law firm. They must have been really upset for this to go down.
Epson wins production print contract
Top Signs of Hexham, Northumberland
- installed an Epson SureColor SC-S80600
- “It allows us to print with white ink, which is great for window stickers, but it is also a lot greener than other machines because it uses less electricity and ink. I think it’s important to us and to our clients that our work is better for the environment.
- Epson’s 1.6m-wide SureColor SC-S80600 is a 10-colour system that can print at up to 95.1sqm/hr in single-pass banner mode and at up to 12.5sqm/hr in eight-pass film mode
- features dual PrecisionCore TFP piezo crystal printheads
Ricoh wins BLI award for app platform
- announced that Keypoint Intelligence – Buyers Lab (BLI) has awarded Ricoh a 2019-
2020 BLI PaceSetter award in the MFP Cloud Ecosystem
- “delivering updateable, configurable technologies for today's rapidly changing digital workplaces as part of its Dynamic Workplace Intelligence approach”
- The downloadable apps for its MFPs include:
o cloud connectors: predefined workflows to streamline processes
o cloud workflows: advanced features such as multi-destination scanning
o cloud services: workflows and applications with a variety of uses, such as
extracting content from documents, integrating with cloud-based line of business applications and creating multiple data routes to support the most complex requirements
o RICOH Always Current Technology
§makes regular updates to firmware and other applications available on
demand, as needed
§Customers can download and install new features, applications and
upgrades directly to their intelligent MFP
Ricoh to diversify
- Plan outlined at its recent April 2019 investors’ conference
- seeking to expand into industrial printing – specifically, with inkjet systems for printing on
textiles and packaging, and even on wall papers and flooring – as well as into
commercial, thermal, and 3D printing
- planning a new 3D printer to complement Ricoh’s medical-imaging business
o will be capable of bio-printing, and supplying DNA standard plates via precise
inkjet-based deposition of cells
o targeting July 2019 for its introduction.
- develop a “digital micro factory concept”
o textile print orders are received digitally, printed on-demand, with only required orders printed
Note from Art: If you want to stay in the business of print, you'll want to follow the migration of print. That means color wide format!
Ricoh wins production print contract
- award from Kirkwood Direct of Wilmington, Massachusetts
- installed a new RICOH Pro VC60000 production color inkjet system
- reasons given for choosing include ability to handle different papers, such as glossy, uncoated stock or cover stock.
- Part of sales process included a demo at Ricoh’s Customer Experience Center in Boulder, Colorado
Ricoh wins award for service tool
- Award from CIO magazine for Smart Hands, a hands-free way for Ricoh service technicians to connect with cloud-hosted knowledge repository
- Also connect with subject matter experts
Lexmark’s parent reports earnings
- Ninestar Corporation of China, which purchased Lexmark International in 2016, recently reported financial results for its 2018 fiscal year
- revenue up 2.8% to 21,926 million yuan ($3.2 billion) for all divisions
- operating profit of 1.55 billion yuan ($225.4 million)
- was the first year that Ninestar’s financial results included results for Lexmark
- net profit of 950.7 million yuan ($138.2 million)
- Lexmark division revenue down 1% to 17,175 million yuan ($2.5 billion)
- Total devices sold down 4.2% to 1,420,000 (includes small desktop consumer models)
EFI makes acquisition
- EFI, maker of Fiery print servers, which itself was just acquired by Siris Capital,
announced it has acquired BDR Boya Kimya San of Bursa, Turkey
- Company makes reactive inkjet inks for textile printing
DocuWare reports earnings
- releases its 2018 financial results
- achieved 46.6 million euro in total revenue
- cloud revenues increased by 92% to 7.8 million euro
- added 1,700 new customers
- 95% customer retention rate
Note from Art: 95% retention rate is incredible! Adding 1,700 new clients is a job well done also