MSP IT & MSSP Industry Notes
Why partnering with ARCOA makes sense
Electronics Recycling is an important and profitable part of the IT asset lifecycle, but it can be overwhelming with all you already do, varying state regulations, and the limited resources at hand. That’s where ARCOA comes in. When you partner with ARCOA, you get all the benefits of a big company without any of the capital investment. We’ve been doing this since 1989 and have the expertise, certifications, and nationwide resources to get the most for all your clients’ retired IT assets. Plus, positioning your clients as environmental stewards not only elevates their appeal to consumers, it meets government requirements and avoids fines.
What partnering with ARCOA looks like
Our role is to make it easy for you to bring more value to your clients. We work with you to help stretch your clients’ IT budget by reducing the total cost of ownership of their electronics. We’re experts at identifying and implementing the solutions your clients need for the end-of-use remarketing, recovery, and recycling of their technology assets. The sooner you involve ARCOA, the sooner you and your clients will see better results.
- MSSP Alert, published by After Nines Inc., has named Xantrion to the Top 250 MSSPs list for 2020
- Highlights from the associated MSSP Alert research include:
- MSSP Revenue Growth: MSSP honorees, on average, expect to generate $19.15 million in revenue for 2020, up 16% from $16.47 million in 2019.
- Geography: Honorees are headquartered in 25 different countries -- up from 19 countries in the 2019 report.
- Profits: 84% of MSSPs surveyed expect to be profitable for fiscal year 2020.
- Security Operations Centers: 67% have in-house SOCs, 24% are hybrid, 6% completely outsource their SOCs, and 3% are reevaluating their SOC strategies.
- Cyberattack Trends: The most frequent attacks targeting MSSP customers in 2020 include phishing (95%), vulnerability (76%) and ransomware (69%) attacks.
- Cybersecurity Solutions: In a continued sign of market fragmentation, MSSP survey participants mentioned 129 different hardware, software, cloud, and services vendors that assist their cybersecurity efforts -- up from 95 in 2019.
- M&A: Mergers, acquisitions and private equity investments continue to accelerate across the MSSP landscape. Twenty high-profile deals involving MSSP 250 honorees have surfaced since last year's report
- Y Soft Corporation, today announced that the updated YSoft SAFEQ 6 Embedded Terminal for Ricoh multifunction devices
- The updated YSoft SAFEQ Embedded Terminalfor Ricoh is an Android-based software application integrated into the multifunction device (MFD)
- Utilizes the softkey, touch, and swipe operation capabilities of the Ricoh MFD's Smart Operation Panel to deliver a seamless and efficient user experience
- With SAFEQ Embedded Terminal, Ricoh MFD users can leverage SAFEQ authentication for secure and convenient access control and safe and personalized access to device and application functions, confidential documents, scan, and fax destinations
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc. (Konica Minolta), today announced a strategic alliance with Kronos Incorporated (Kronos) to support safer return to work initiatives during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Technology collaboration will initially be available in the U.S. and Canada, where more and more states and provinces are executing reopening strategies
- This includes routine wellness questionnaires for all employees and visitors and daily temperature checks, which can be completed with Konica Minolta thermal imaging solutions
- HP intro'd a range of enhanced PC solutions
- The HP ProBook 635 Aero G7
- HP ProBook 600 G8 and 400 G8 PC Series
- HP EliteDesk 805 G6 Series
- HP ProDesk 405 G6 Series
- HP E24t G4 Touch Monitor
- HP E24d and E27d
- HP LaserJet Enterprise 400 Series
- HP's other new Print innovations include
- HP DesignJet portfolio for architect, engineer, construction and home offices
- Document Workflow Cloud solution for simplifying the flow of information from paper to digital
- Fleet Onboarding tool enabling partners to quickly onboard HP Workpath across printer fleet
- ZorroSign, Inc. announced a new strategic partnership with DocuXplorer, a leading Document Management Solution
- DocuXplorer’s native integration with ZorroSign will allow a seamless process from document management through to encrypted electronic signing of documents
- INDATA, announced a software release providing enhanced functionality and productivity improvements
- INDATA utilizes NLP (Natural Language Processing), a subfield of AI, to offer improvements in important areas by automating complex workflows and eliminating keystrokes
- Collabrance LLC, announced a free online event focused on best practices for technology providers to grow their IT business with cybersecurity
- MSSP Acceleratorwill feature different cybersecurity industry thought leaders from: CharTec, Pax8, ID Agent, Solar Winds, Fortinet, Datto, and GreatAmerica
- MSSP Accelerator
October 7th, 2020
9:00AM – 4:00PM
- MSSP Accelerator
- Through its alliance with Sector 5, All Covered will offer LTE connected Chromebooks to its education customers in the United States
- All Covered (All Covered) is proud to announce its reseller partnership with Sector 5, Inc. (Sector 5), which sells cellular connected Chromebooks
- Working toward providing every K-12 child with an internet-enabled Chromebook device
- Verimatrix announced that its value-added reseller, Japan-based Toshiba Information Systems (Japan) Corporation, has implemented Verimatrix Whiteboxcryptographic key protection technology inside consumer printers
- Whitebox is part of the Verimatrix Application Shielding family of solutions
- Kognos launched the Autonomous XDR Investigator, a platform backed by security-aware AI that empowers customers to automatically detect, investigate and respond to attack campaigns in real time
- Founded by CEO Rakesh Nair, former Head of Engineering at Netwitness/RSA, Kognos was built by security practitioners for security practitioners
- Mandiant® announced new cybersecurity services to support Microsoft technologies
- new services bring together Mandiant expertise and intelligence with Microsoft security products to provide security capabilities
- Mandiant Managed Defense will include support for additional Microsoft Security solutions to ensure holistic protection for customers
Cybrary, released the findings from the "Cybrary Skills Gap Research Survey and Report
- 68 percent of respondents report investing their own free time, outside working hours to improve their cyber skills;
- Nearly 3 out of 4 respondents agree that skill gaps exist on their teams;
- 65 percent of managers agreed that skills gaps have a negative impact on their team's effectiveness;
- 40 percent of individuals say they spend time working to learn new job skills every day, while another 38 percent reported at least once a week; and
- 46 percent of organizations do not confirm new hire skills for specific roles and 40 percent rarely or never assess the skills of newly onboarded team members
- survey also reveals that employers need to break down significant barriers, such as cost (33 percent) and lack of time (28 percent) that are preventing IT and Security professionals from getting the skills training
- Green House Data, is rebranding to unify its recently acquired companies and nine locations throughout North America under one brand name –
- The company’s new name, Lunavi, combines two critical attributes "Lu" meaning light and "Navi" meaning navigation
- Synoptek, announces its strategic partnership with Orange County-based boutique Salesforce Partner, NPWR Group
- Combining Synoptek’s global delivery and scale with NPWR Group’s deep Salesforce consulting and design expertise will enable Synoptek to expand its Salesforce portfolio
- Beachhead Solutions announced that MSPs can now provide co-managed IT services (CoMITs) using the SimplySecure for MSPs™ platform whenever they and their clients desire the capability
- Beachhead’s CoMITs functionality provides a framework for MSPs to efficiently grant change control privileges to the internal IT staff of MSPs’ clients while still ensuring the MSP steers all security policy and strategy decisions
- Beachhead’s CoMITs offering places a protective framework around the activities of businesses whose MSPs grant them change control privileges
The federal Office for Civil Rights (under Department of Health & Human Services) announced following settlements based on HIPAA violation investigations: o $15,000 = All Inclusive Medical Services of California
- $70,000 = Northeast Behavioral Health, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health of Massachusetts
- $3500 = Dr. Patricia King Psychiatric Clinic of Chesapeake, VA
- $10,000 = Wise Psychiatry of Centennial, CA
- $38,000 = Housing Works Health of New York
Bay Area Medical center, part of Advocate Aurora Health, in Marinette, Wisconsin, notified 2,979 patients that their PHI was exposed after paper medical records were discovered left behind in former facility.
Fairfax County Public School District of Virginia notified an unknown number of students that their info was exposed after ransomware attack.
Roper St. Francis Healthcare of Charleston, SC notified 93,000 patients their PHI was exposed after hacking incident.
Geisinger Health location in Berwick, Pennsylvania notified 700 patients that a former employee illegally accessed their PHI.
Community Medical Centers of California notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI may have been exposed after hacking incident.
Children’s Minnesota Hospital notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI may have been exposed after hacking incident.
Hebrew SeniorLife of Massachusetts notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI may have been exposed after hacking incident.
Augusta University Medical Center of Georgia notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI may have been exposed after hacking incident.
The University Hospital of New Jersey notified an unknown number of patients that their PHI may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Artech Information Systems of Morristown, NJ notified an unknown number of employees and customers that this info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
ZDNet magazine published results of study of COVID-19 era security issues: o 40% increase in unsecure remote desktop PCs (working from home employees)
o 400% increase in brute force attacks using remote desktop protocol
o 667% increase in email phishing attacks
o 3 times more employees clicking on email phishing schemes during pandemic
o 90% of COVID-19 created domains on the Internet are scams
o 72% more ransomware attacks
DarkTracer Research reported that it found data from 605 companies posted on the Dark Web as a result of ransomware attacks successfully being completed by 14 different hacking groups this year.
Floral Park-Bellerose Public School District of New York notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Crowdstrike report shows: o During first half of 2020, they found 41,000 intrusions (up 15%) by hackers that were hands-on, meaning human hackers actively explored systems themselves, rather than using botnets
Dunkin’s Brands Inc. of Canton, Mass, agreed to pay $650,000 to state of New York to settle data breach negligence lawsuit.
Jekyll Island Authority of Brunswick, Georgia notified an unknown number of citizens that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Federal prosecutors have charged 5 hackers in China with breaching more than 100 companies in the U.S. Since there is no extradition policy with China, arresting them will be impossible if they stay in China.
Erlanger Health of Chattanooga, TN notified 4,938 patients that their PHI was exposed after a CD-ROM was misplaced that had their records.
A former patient of St. Louis, Missouri-based BJC HealthCare filed a class-action lawsuit against the health system over a cybersecurity incident o
- BJC HealthCare reported three employees' email accounts were breached on May 5 and may have exposed PHI
- The information included patient names, medical records, clinical information, insurance information and Social Security numbers.
- plaintiffs are seeking financial compensation, lifetime consumer credit protection and monitoring services and restitution.
Facebook has been accused of spying on its Instagram users for 'market research' by secretly accessing their mobile cameras through the app, according to a new lawsuit filed in San Francisco, CA
- is accused of intentionally activating smartphone cameras to collect 'lucrative and valuable data that it would not otherwise have access to', Bloomberg reported.
The Veteran Affairs Department notified 46,000 veteran patients that their PHI was exposed after email phishing attack.
Spectrum Health of Michigan notified its patients of a “vishing” scam, where criminals are pretending to be hospital employees and calling patients in attempt to steal PHI.
Millstone Township School District of New Jersey notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Somerset Hills School District of NJ notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Newhall School District of Valencia, CA notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
West County School District of Missouri notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
St. Louis County government offices of Missouri notified an unknown number of citizens that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
West Mifflin Area School District of Pennsylavania notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
The City of Carmel government in Indiana notified an unknown number of citizens that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Skidmore-Tynan School District of Texas notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack.
Guilford Technical Community College of Jamestown, NC notified an unknown number of students that their info may have been exposed after ransomware attack
Feds now call out printers/MFPs/faxes in SRA
- The federal Office for Civil Rights (OCR) unveiled version 3.2 of its Security Risk Assessment (SRA) tool that healthcare providers are to use when conducting a HIPAA risk assessment
- The new version now actually mentions printers, copiers and fax machines as part of the “assets” that a healthcare organization is supposed to list and what the security status of the device is if it handles PHI (protected health information)
- The tool also requires a listing of all vendor contacts that are involved