Skip to main content

Color Label Press University "Glossary of Terms" Part Six, Course One


In a previous blog from this week titled How Many Labels Did We Count on the Ricoh MP3601SP? I wrote about all of the black & color labels that I found on one of our wide format devices in our showroom.  In addition I just noticed that none of the pictures uploaded to the blog!  Arrgghh!  Thus, I will try to get those pictures uploaded this week.

My point is that there are labels everywhere and we're just not paying attention them because we never thought that we could play in that market. Well, we can, with the likes of the Muratec and KonicaMinolta devices.  Do not leave any label (stone) unturned!  Ask questions like where did you get them, how many do you buy, have you ever figured out the cost per label are just some of those probing questions that we need to ask.

At the top of each blog you'll see color label press icon.  Clicking that link which is at the top of each blog will then bring you the collection of blogs for Color Label Press University.  It's pretty neat, you'll see all of the blogs that we've posted for an easier read and simple way to toggle from blog to blog.

Color Label Presses can be used as seeding devices in larger Print4Pay opportunities, or help that dealer or rep get a conversation going with an account where they have never had any traction with MFP's or IT services.  In addition, the competition is ripe for takeover.   Let us not forget about the GP!

The market for full color digital labels in huge and the potential to make some serious commissions is enormous.  BTW, isn't that why we're in this crazy business? 

Color Label Press University "Glossary for Pressure Sensitive Labels"  Course Six (Sponsored by Muratec a Konica Minolta Company)


Controlled Release Additive:  A material added to silicone release coatings to create the desired higher release level.

Converter:  Refers to that type of manufacturer who produces plain or printed rolls, sheets, bags or pouches, etc., from rolls of film, foil or paper, including pressure sensitives.

Copier Label:   A label designed for overprinting by a plain paper photocopier.

Copy:   Any furnished material (manuscript, pictures, artwork, etc.) to be used in the production of printing.

Copy Preparation:  Directions for desired size and other details for illustrations, and the arrangement into proper position of various parts of the label being prepared for reproduction.

Core:   A tube on which paper, film, or foil labels are wound for shipment. Also the metal body of a roller which is rubber covered.

Core Holder:   Device for affixing core to shaft; core chuck.

Core Plugs:  Metal, wood or compressed paper plugs which are driven into the paper core of the finished roll to prevent crushing or other damge to the core.

Corner Radius:   Describes the arc or curvature of the die blades where they meet so that they can impart a rounded corner to a die cut label.

Corona Treating:  An electrical discharge which is used to raise the critical surface tension of low or inert substrates thereby enhancing printability.

Coupon:  Removable label either supplying information or havng redeemable value. They may be either pressure sensitive or non-pressure sensitive.

Coverage:  Ink or coating mileage; the surface area covered by a given quantity of ink or coating material. In flexography, the extent or degree to which a base material is covered, colored, or hidden by an ink or coating.

Crazing:   The appearance of a network of small cracks in a varnish coat or a plastic facestock.

Creep:   The lateral movement of a pressure sensitive label on a surface due to low cohesive strength.

Cromalin:   One-piece color proofing for four-color process.

Crop:   To eliminate portions of the copy (indicated by cropmarks).

Crop marks:  Marks made on the outer edges of artwork to designate the area to be printed.

Cross Direction:  The direction across the web. Papers are weaker and are affected more by changes in relative humidity in the cross direction that the grain direction.

Crush Cut:   A cut made by a rotary blade in contact with an anvil or base roll.

Crushed Core:  Core that gives way and becomes out-of-round either from too much tension or a bump.

CSA Canadian Standards Association:   Canadian association similar to Underwriters Laboratories.

Cure:  To change the properties of adhesives, coatings or inks by chemical reaction. The 'curing' of inks uses high intensity UV lamps whereas the 'curing' of rubber requires considerable heat and pressure. 'Curing' is achieved by condensation, polymerization or vulcanization.

Curetime:   The time/temperature combination required to bring about the desired level of cure.

Curing Temperature:   Temperature to which an adhesive, ink or coating is subjected to for curing.

Curl:  The tendency of material by itself or in a laminate to bend or partly wrap around the axis of one of its directions. Curl is often caused by humidity or improper tension.

Cut:  An expression commonly used to designate an engraving or photographic print. Also to dilute an ink, lacquer, varnish, etc. with solvents or with clear base; to thin.

Cut-Off:  In web printing, the cut or print length corresponding to the circumference of the plate cylinder and/or die cutter; repeat length.

Cut Rule:   Steel rule blades designed to cut materials being produced on flat-bed die cutting equipment.

Cuts:   The number of rolls slit from a master roll.

Cyan:   A substractive primary color which reflects blue and green light and absorbs red light.

Cylinder:  In flexography, most rollers in the printing press are called rolls with the exception of that upon which the rubber plates are mounted, and the one which received the impression, and these are usually referred to as cylinders, I.e., plates, cylinder, impression cylinder.

Cyrell:   DuPont's trademark for photopolymer plate material.

Dark Reaction:  Ultraviolet inks usually turn solid at the bottom of the can when the shelf life of the material has expired. It is called this because it occurs in the absence of light, oxygen, and normal ink bodying agents.

Debossed:  An indent or cut in design or lettering of a surface.

Deckle:  Web width of paper machine.

Decorative Sheet:  A laminated plastic sheet used for decorative purposes in which the color and/or surface pattern is an integral part of the sheet.

Defoamer:  A substance or mixture of substance which when added to foaming solutions causes small bubbles to collect into large bubbles which rise to the surface and break.

Delamination:  The separation of a material into layers in a direction approximately parallel to the surface. The partial or complete separation of the layers of a laminate.

-=Good Selling=-


Images (1)
  • Unknown

If you like something I've posted please feel free to click the "like" button!

Add Comment

Comments (1)

Newest · Oldest · Popular
Link copied to your clipboard.