I started to title this blog and then stopped because I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with this. I wanted to write about the start of the new year and what reps can do to increase their skills and sales from last year.
The first thing we need to do is to forget about last year. Whether you were a winner or a loser last year is over! An old saying in sales "is that you're only as good as your last month". Now is the time to forget about last year, now is the time to set your sales goals and find a way to get to where you want to be at the end of the year.
August of this year will be the start of my 39th year of office technology (copiers, fax, printers, wide format, IT, content) and this year I plan to change a few things to try and get me to where I want to be at the end of the 2019.
1. I'm going to write more blogs for my jerseyplotters.com this year. I was a little lax last year, however this year I plan to post one a week. I'm thinking this should gain me an additional 2-3 leads per month.
2. I fracking hate cold calling via phone. Thus this year I'm going back to planning 20-25 stop in cold calls every Thursday. The reason I pick Thursday is because most Holidays we have a Monday off. Tus scheduling for Thursdays means I won't lose a day in the field.
3. For those special accounts that I haven't been able to crack, I'm going to invest a little bit of cash and send them via Fed-Ex a care package designed especially for them. I'll write more about this in another blog, it's going to be something different and unique. Thus when I do make the phone call, I'm sure I'll get the chance to speak to the DM.
4. I'm going to lean on my existing relationships and ask for referrals that I can reach out to. When I'm in the office tomorrow, I'll print out an 11x17 document as a reminder to ask everyone.
5. Extra focus for selling content, even if it means lengthening the sales cycle. What I'm finding is that most reps are still focused only on selling the box and couldn't care less about content.
There is a recession coming in the near future, now is the time to plan ahead. For me this means that I need to increase my net new business while building my current business. All of that can be accomplished with the 5 steps I've addressed above.
New to Sales?
For those of you that are new to sales here's some quotes that I've relied on over the years to help me get through the good and the bad
- Winners Make Things Happen and Losers Wait for Things to Happen
- Prospect by Day and Quote by Night
- The Hardier You Work the Luckier You Get (thanx Jack)
- Assume the Order
Feel free to use this tips, if you have any additional questions PM me on this site or post a reply and I'd be happy to help.