Technology adoption must be all about ease of use, convenience and enabling users to become more efficient and productive in their jobs. In legal, due to the volume of documents/records from multiple data sources, it’s indisputable that a structured and standardised approach to email and document management is essential to lawyers’ ability to deliver a high-quality service to clients. To this end, organisations use all manner of approaches – from network drives and SharePoint to traditional document management systems.

I’ve been a longstanding user of traditional document management systems (DMS), but recently having moved to the latest best-of-breed solution, the advantages the latter offers to me as an individual are tangible. I believe lawyers too will love a best-of-breed solution. Here’s why:

• Improved Outlook performance and usability – These systems offer a much lighter weight add-in to Microsoft Outlook, other MS Office applications and Adobe Acrobat (Gmail is now also supported).  This means that most of the tools that lawyers use on a day-to-day basis are seamlessly integrated into Outlook, which lawyers can use from within their inboxes.
  • Access to data on the move – without compromising user experience – The new DMSs offer a new, modern web user interface, which means that lawyers can access data from any device, anywhere, anytime. Most crucially using these solutions requires minimal training; are truly device agnostic and hence offer a consistent user experience – regardless of whether the device is a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop. This is important as often lawyers work remotely or on the move.  read the rest here